In The Box
Sony Front and Rear Lens Caps
Sony Petal-Shaped Lens Hood
Sony Carrying Case
Sony Tripod Collar
The Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM II Lens is a versatile zoom lens covering portrait-length to telephoto perspectives and featuring a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture for enhanced low-light shooting and focus control throughout the zoom range. A Super Sonic Wave Motor (SSM) focusing mechanism provides fast, smooth, and quiet focusing performance with enhanced tracking capabilities that are well-suited to photographing quickly moving subjects. Also helping to increase focusing speeds is the integration of a Focus Range Limiter, which enables you to set pre-defined limits for the lens to focus within for faster response times. Additionally, when paired with Sony A-mount cameras, in-body image stabilization renders this lens stabilized and supports the use of longer shutter speeds with a reduction in appearance of camera shake.
The optical design employs two extra-low dispersion elements to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range as well as heighten image clarity and overall sharpness. A Nano AR (anti-reflective) coating has also been applied to lens elements in order to reduce lens flare and ghosting for more contrast-rich imagery and high color neutrality.
- Portrait-length to telephoto zoom lens featuring a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture for consistent low-light performance and focusing control throughout the zoom range.
- Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) provides fast, smooth, and quiet focusing performance with enhanced subject-tracking capabilities.
- Focus Range Limiter enables you to preset a defined focusing range for faster, more controlled focusing.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements help to minimize chromatic aberrations and improve image quality and sharpness throughout the zoom range.
- Nano AR coating reduces lens flare and ghosting for higher clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- Nine-blade circular diaphragm produces a smooth out-of-focus quality that is well-suited to selective focus imagery.
- Compatible with optional 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters for extending the reach of the lens even further.
I tried to take as many diverse photos as possible with my limited time, and I managed to get a pretty good spread. Be sure to click the images for the high res and take note of the Exif info below each image. All these images are un-edited and were exported directly from Lightroom 3 as jpegs from the original .arw raw files.
The shutter speed on this waterfall image below is 1/25sec and I was hand holding at 70mm. I wanted the slow shutter to help capture the motion in the water a bit, and doing this hand held is always fun!!
I stopped my truck and rolled the window down to take these next 2 shots. I looked like great subject matter for a lens test, and I took the shoot at 70mm, then 200mm from the same exact spot.
Below is a 100% crop of the image above so I can point out the Chromatic Aberration in the high contrast area where the white sky meets the building. It’s really not that bad and can easily be fixed in any raw editing program, but you can clearly see it.
|Tripod Collar||Yes Removable - rotating|
|Filter Thread||Front:77 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Not Specified By Manufacturer|
|Weight||2.87 lb (1.3 kg)|