In The Box
- 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM Lens
- 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Lens (Black) for CX Format
Nikon BF-N1000 body cap
Nikon AN-N1000 strap
Nikon ViewNX 2 CD
Nikon EN-EL22 rechargeable Li-ion battery (with terminal cover)
Nikon MH-29 battery charger
Nikon Original Case
* Available in June, July 2014
Nikon1 J4 10-30mm & 30-110mm 18mp, Tiltable Touch 3.0" LCD, WIFI
20fps with AF-C
Own the moment with the blazingly quick Nikon 1 J4. Fast, light, and solidly built, this portable system camera delivers quality performance and effortless handling.
Offering a powerful combination of acclaimed technology, extraordinary speed, and hassle-free operation, the Nikon 1 J4 leaves nothing to chance. Whether you want to record your baby’s first steps or the explosive action of a photo finish, Nikon’s world-renowned EXPEED processing engine, plus an 18.4-megapixel CMOS sensor and rapid autofocus system, capture every look, wink, and heartbeat. The super responsive touchscreen lets you do everything with a tap or a finger swipe, and built-in Wi-Fi makes it easy to connect, share, and create on the go.
Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lenses Nikon 1 J4
WP-N3 Waterproof Case
SB-N10 Underwater Speedlight
April 10, 2014
A stylish, compact, and lightweight camera offering superior performance with tracking of moving subjects with the world's fastest* continuous shooting with AF tracking, and excellent image quality that makes full-scale photography possible
The J4’s compact, stylish frame possesses the everyday convenience we all crave in today’s on-the-go world. You’ll never miss a moment of the action with an unparalleled shooting speed of 20 frames per second with autofocus that is faster than even a D-SLR camera. With the J4 by your side, you can confidently take shots that are sure to impress.
Shoot exceptionally high-quality shots with the J4’s newly developed 18.4 megapixel CX-format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4A image-processing engine. Plus, take sharper, clearer photos at night with a wide range of ISO sensitivities ranging from ISO 160 to 6400 in Auto mode. The J4 has also been designed without an Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF) sensor to improve the detail and precision of the images you capture.
The J4 features a super high-speed autofocus (AF) CMOS sensor and the world’s fastest continuous shooting frame rate*1 of 20 frames per second (with autofocus) and up to around 60 frames per second. It’s all you need to get the shots you desire, at the exact moment the opportunity arises.
The J4 boasts a touch-panel control with simple and intuitive functions, so you can spend more time crafting your images and less time navigating the settings. In addition, the Quick Menu function can be used in both shooting and playback modes, while the enhanced Feature Menu includes new options for quick setting changes.
Send your photos and videos*2 directly from your camera to a smartphone or tablet with the J4’s built-in Wi-Fi capabilities. Simply download the free Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app available at the App Store and Google Play to make the transfer right away.
*2 Wireless transfer of videos is available only on Android OS.
The J4 comes with creative features that assist you in quickly locating the appropriate settings, so you can focus on taking quality photos. Creative Palette is an intelligent touch screen system that allows you to make changes such as image colour, brightness and saturation with just a simple movement of the finger in a ring-like motion. Creative Mode enables simple editing such as portrait enhancement, fine-tuning ISO sensitivity, cross-processing and a toy camera effect – giving more options to stretch your imagination.
The J4 is one of the smallest and lightest cameras in its class, weighing only 232g (including battery and microSD memory card) and measuring 99.5mm (width) x 60mm (height) x 28.5mm (depth). With its compact design, the J4 is ideal for those who are always on the move, yet refuse to compromise on speed and quality. The J4 is available in four vivid colours – white, black, silver and orange – all finished with a brilliant metallic texture.
Capture the action and drama of life with the J4’s superior continuous AF performance and ability to shoot Full HD movies at 1080/60p. To dial up the drama or suspense, turn to slow motion HD movie recording for more impactful scenes. You’ll be spoilt for choice with new Advanced Movie Functions such as “Jump cut”, “Fast motion” and “4-second movie” that pushes the boundaries of your creativity further. If you are looking to capture still images from your movie, use Auto Image Capture to automatically save up to 20 shots as still photos.
Discover accessories specially designed for the J4 that enable you to shoot high-quality underwater photos and movies. The compact and stylish waterproof case allows you to dive to a depth of 45m, so you can enjoy more opportunities to capture rare marine life sightings. Use the SB-N10 Underwater Speedlight with 4 flash modes to ensure you are never in the dark when it comes to superb pictures of the deep blue sea.
*1 Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of 10 April, 2014. Statement based on Nikon research.
Experience the product: Sample Gallery
The cameras created for those who refuse to let life pass them by. Fast, light and assuring quality performance shot after shot, Nikon 1 is the compact answer for capturing all the action of your active lifestyle. Unbelievable AF speed, a brand new CMOS sensor, world-renowned EXPEED image processing and effortless handling. A potent combination guaranteed to preserve every moment in beautiful photos and movies beyond your wildest imagination.
Beyond the digital SLR
105 phase-detection AF points provide fast, precise focus over a large area of the frame.
Nikon’s technological prowess is nowhere more evident than in the advanced hybrid AF system. Featuring phase-detection AF — the same type as found in digital SLR cameras and with 105 AF points — the system is key to the camera’s excellent speed and pinpoint focus precision over virtually the entire frame. The snappy performance of phase-detection AF and wide coverage make it easy to pull subjects into sharp focus. Whether capturing the joyous smiles of your little ones or all the excitement of an action-packed race, you’re sure to appreciate the speed benefits of this incredibly fast AF.
Only from Nikon 1 — AF that leaves digital SLRs far behind
Advanced hybrid AF system combines precision with outstanding speed.
Nikon 1 J4’s advanced AF covers virtually the entire frame with 171 AF points. The all-important central area employs both phase-detection and contrast-detect points, automatically switching between the two depending on subject and lighting. Quick phase-detection AF is used to capture most scenes, including dynamic action beyond the reach of digital SLR cameras. But in dim settings — or when the subject lies outside the central frame — contrast-detect AF takes over, effectively expanding the focus area to ensure that subjects near peripheries are precisely focused.
20 fps shooting with continuous AF accurately captures moving subjects.
Continuous AF actively maintains focus on moving subjects when shooting at 20 fps*. This lets you freeze expressions and movements in action sequences that only Nikon 1 can catch. Just frame the shot, press the shutter-release button halfway and Nikon 1 J4 locks focus on a moving subject. Continue pressing all the way and you’ve got a sharp, high-speed sequence at 20 fps without having to worry about focus. Thanks to the powerful image-processing engine, you can also fire off a sequence at 60 fps in RAW format with the focus fixed at a specific point.
* Approximate shooting duration: One second at 20 fps or two seconds at 10 fps.
Short shooting time lag means fewer missed shots.
There’s nothing more annoying than pressing the shutter-release button and waiting for what seems an eternity while that magic moment slips away. Not so with Nikon 1 J4, the camera that responds instantaneously. Its miniscule shooting time lag makes operation more intuitive, letting you capture shots that can come and go in a heartbeat. This quality is enhanced by the capless 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM, specially designed to keep pace with the camera’s blazing-fast AF.
Easily capture hidden expressions in action sequences.
Capture the action and take home an exciting memory.
Just when is the decisive moment? Rather than guessing, get help using Active Selection. As the action begins to unfold, press the shutter-release button. The camera shoots 20 photos for approximately one second; either all 20 before and through actual shutter release or a total of 20 shots including before, during and after release. When finished shooting, you can review the sequence and decide which images to keep. Save the entire sequence or just the ones that capture the essence of the moment. The choice is yours with Active Selection.
Smart Photo Selector
Shots of parties and groups? Automatically save the best and delete the rest.
Poring over group shots to find the best of the bunch isn’t much fun. So let Smart Photo Selector do the work for you. Just compose the shot then begin pressing the shutter-release button. From the halfway point, Nikon 1 J4 starts shooting and continues until a few moments after you fully press and release the button, recording up to 20 images. The camera then automatically saves the five most pleasing shots and displays what it determines to be the best based on eye blinks, composition and camera-shake blur. Unneeded images are deleted for you. No more worries about missing a great shot due to people blinking, falling out of the frame or blur caused by a shaky hand. You can also set the camera to save and display only one image from the sequence, making it easier than ever to capture the perfect shot.
Slow it way down then select the shot that says it all.
Pick and choose the best shot from a slow-motion sequence.
Knowing just when to take the shot while trying to capture fast-moving action can sometimes be difficult. Slow view solves this problem. Simply press the shutter-release button halfway and Nikon 1 J4 records up to 20 frames at 30 fps. The LCD monitor displays the action occurring in slow motion. When you see the shot you like, press the button the rest of the way and the image is automatically saved.
Make stills come alive with the magic of movies.
Add movement to everyday snaps and watch them come to life with a newfound vibrancy. Motion Snapshot appends four seconds of slow-motion video along with ambient sounds or background music to a normal snapshot. Just point and shoot. It’s as easy as taking a photo. Motion Snapshots are created in-camera. No special editing skills or software are required so you can enjoy them immediately. To create a fascinating and compelling visual story of your next excursion, combine up to eight Motion Snapshots into one riveting narrative completely in-camera.
Expand your enjoyment of Motion Snapshot.
Because Motion Snapshots are automatically created in-camera, you can view and share them on the LCD monitor immediately. For added enjoyment, use bundled Nikon Movie Editor software to add music or create unique visual odysseys by combining Motion Snapshots, photos and Full HD movies into a single movie.
Motion Snapshot Effector
Put more excitement into your Motion Snapshots with this mobile app from Randido Inc. Add special effects, combine multiple Motion Snapshots into one and upload your creations to YouTube.
*Android smart devices only
The black Nikon 1 J4 Mirrorless Digital Camera is a versatile camera featuring a CX-format 18.4MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4A image processor to produce high-resolution stills and full HD movies with notable sensitivity to ISO 12800. The combination of these two technologies also affords fast performance throughout the camera, including a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 20 fps with full-time autofocus and a 120 fps movie frame rate for recording slow motion sequences. Complementing the imaging assets is an equally deft Hybrid AF System, which combines both phase- and contrast-detection focusing methods to deliver AF performance that is both quick and precise.
Within the compact overall form factor, a large 3.0" 1,037k-dot touchscreen LCD is available for intuitive navigation throughout the menu system as well as for employing touch focus and shutter release controls. Additionally, this interface also provides a simple means to access the built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for instant image transfer to linked mobile devices.
Included with the camera body is the sleek 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-81mm. This wide-angle to short telephoto lens features a Power-Drive zoom mechanism, for quick, smooth control, and VR image stabilization to suppress the effects of camera shake. To further extend the effective focal length range, the 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 lens is also included, and provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 81-297mm. This lens also incorporates Vibration Reduction to benefits its telephoto reach and utilizes extra-low dispersion glass to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range. A Super Integrated Coating further contributes to well-maintained contrast, color neutrality, and overall image clarity.
- 18.4MP CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 4A Image Processor
- A CX-format 18.4MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 4A image processor work together to produce high-resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video recording with notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 12800. These two technologies also work together to enable a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, benefitting the continuous shooting, movie recording, and autofocus systems. Furthermore, the sensor's design also omits the traditional optical low-pass filter to enhance overall image sharpness and resolution.
- Hybrid AF System
- Employing both contrast- and phase-detection focusing methods, the 1 J4 features an all-around autofocusing system that is fast, precise, and controllable. When working with fast-paced, moving subject matter, phase-detection AF excels in its ability to quickly acquire focus utilizing a 105-point array that covers a broad range of the image frame. In difficult lighting conditions, the contrast-detection method is the chosen focusing system and uses 171 points across the entire frame to ensure critical sharpness. The advanced hybrid system oscillates between these two methods depending on the detected scene type in order to continuously produce crisp imagery regardless of the lighting or subject matter.
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting
- High-speed continuous shooting is benefitted by both the processing power as well as the phase-detection focusing method to support full-resolution recording of up to 20 fps with full-time focusing to maintain consistent sharpness. With the focus position fixed after the first recorded frame, continuous shooting up to an impressive 60 fps is possible in order to clearly record and freeze even the fastest movements.
- Full HD Movie Recording
- Full HD 1080p video recording is supported at 60 fps with the ability to also record at 120 fps at 1280 x 720 for slow motion sequences. Clear audio is recorded via an on-board stereo microphone and full-resolution still images can be simultaneously recorded while capturing video. Additionally, electronic VR image stabilization is available to help minimize the appearance of camera shake that is especially prevalent when recording handheld.
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables you to instantly share imagery from the 1 J4 to your linked iOS or Android mobile device for instant sharing via email, text message, or to social media sites.
- Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
- Communications protocols: IEEE 802.11b (DSSS/CCK), IEEE 802.11g (OFDM)
- Operating frequency: 2412-2462 MHz (channels 1-11)
- Range (line of site): Approximately 32.8' / 10m (with no interference)
- Data rate: 54 Mbps (maximum logical rate according to IEEE standard)
- Security: Authentication - Open system, WPA2-PSK; Encryption - AES
- Wireless setup: Supports WPS
- Access protocol: Infrastructure and ad-hoc
- 1 NIKKOR 10-30mm and 30-110mm Lenses
- Included with the camera body is the versatile 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens; a wide-angle to portrait-length zoom providing a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-81mm. The Power-Drive zoom mechanism affords smooth and precise control over the zoom placement, making it ideal for use when recording videos. Built-in VR image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake to benefit working with longer shutter speeds. Additionally, the lens' compact form factor is complemented by a built-in lens cover, alleviating the need for a lens cap.
Also included with the camera, and complementing the 10-30mm lens, is the 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 lens. This telephoto zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 81-297mm and utilizes Vibration Reduction image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake throughout the zoom range. Extra-low dispersion glass, along with a Super Integrated Coating, help to maintain overall image clarity while also providing marked reduction chromatic aberrations.
- Other Camera Features
- A large, bright 3.0" 1,037k-dot touchscreen LCD permits clear image monitoring and review, as well as touch-to-focus, touch-shutter release, and intuitive navigation throughout the menu system.
- Picture Control modes allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera, and include Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid, and user-customizable settings.
- Best Moment Capture allows you to view live action in slow motion and replay it as many times as you need to get the best shot using Slow View.
- Smart Photo Selector will quickly capture a burst of 20 images and automatically select the best 5 using intelligent pre-set criteria.
- Motion Snapshot mode will capture a still image as well as 1.6 seconds of slow-motion video before and after, then automatically compile both the footage and photo into a unique file that is ideal for sharing.
- Shooting modes: Advanced movie mode (includes HD movie, slow motion, fast motion, jump cut, and 4-second movie), Auto Photo mode, Creative mode (including: creative pallet, HDR, easy panorama, soft, miniature effect, selective color, cross process, and toy camera effect), Motion Snapshot (16:9), P programmed auto with flexible program, S shutter-priority auto, A aperture-priority auto, M manual, and Best Moment Capture mode (includes Slow View, Active Selection, and Smart Photo Selector).
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
Nikon1 J4 10-30mm & 30-110mm 18mp, Tiltable Touch 3.0" LCD, WIFI
|Video Recording||Yes, NTSC|
|Resolution||1920 x 1080: 60 fps, 30 fps
1280 x 720: 120 fps, 60 fps, 30 fps
768 x 288: 400 fps
416 x 144: 1200 fps
|Aspect Ratio||8:3, 16:9|
|Audio Recording||Built-in Mic: With Video, Stereo|
|Focus Type||Auto & Manual|
|Focus Mode||Automatic (A), Continuous-servo AF (C), Full-time Servo (F), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Contrast Detection: 171
Phase Detection: 105
|Display Screen||3" Rear Touchscreen LCD (1,037,000)|
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 60 fps|
|Self Timer||10 sec, 2 sec|
|Connectivity||HDMI D (Micro), USB 2.0|
|Battery||1x EN-EL22 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack|
|AC Power Adapter||EH-5b (Optional)|
32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Humidity: 0 - 85%
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||3.9 x 2.4 x 1.1" / 99.5 x 60.0 x 28.5 mm excluding protrusions|
|Weight||6.77 oz / 192 g camera body only|