In The Box
Canon Front Lens Cap
Canon Rear Lens Cap
Canon EF-S 55-250mm Instruction Manual
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM Lens
For photographers and videographers looking to add versatility and range to their lens collection, the new EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM telephoto zoom lens is a dream come true. Compact and lightweight with Optical Image Stabilizer for up to 3.5* equivalent stops of shake correction, it extends the camera's reach significantly, capturing sharp images of far away objects, even when handheld. It features Canon's amazing STM stepping motor and a newly designed high-speed CPU, rear focus mechanism and improved AF algorithm for high-speed performance, supporting Canon's Movie Servo AF for smooth, quiet and continuous focus adjustments. The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens features one UD lens element that reduces chromatic aberration, helping to achieve excellent image quality with high resolution and contrast. The front element does not rotate, ensuring easy compatibility with accessories like polarizing filters, and full-time manual focus is available even while in AF mode. Enhanced coatings on the lens elements deliver excellent color balance and minimize ghosting and flare, and a 7-blade circular aperture delivers beautiful, soft backgrounds. The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens has a compact design thanks to a new six-group zoom system that provides a maximum magnification of 0.29x at the telephoto end and a minimum focusing distance of 2.79 ft./0.85m throughout the zoom range.
* Based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards. Testing performed using the EOS 7D digital SLR at a focal length of 250mm (400mm in 35mm equivalence).
The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens is a long-reaching zoom lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 88-400mm, covering portrait-length to telephoto perspectives to suit working with distant subject matter. Greatly benefitting this lens' reach is the incorporation of image stabilization, which works to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 shutter speed steps to support handheld use in low-light conditions.
An STM stepping focus motor is also integrated into the lens' design to provide smooth, quiet, and fast focusing performance that is ideally-suited to video applications as well as tracking moving subjects. The rear focusing system, high-speed CPU, and an enhanced AF algorithm also contribute to quickened overall AF speeds. Full-time manual focus is also supported to permit fine-tuning of focus even while working in AF modes. Additionally, the front lens section does not rotate during focusing to better facilitate the use of polarizing filters.
The optical construction of the lens employs one ultra-low dispersion glass element to help reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range while also enhancing contrast and clarity. Optimized lens coatings have also been applied to ensure color fidelity by countering the effects of lens flare and ghosting.
- Long-reaching zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 88-400mm, covering portrait-length to telephoto perspectives.
- Optical image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 3.5 shutter speed steps to benefit shooting handheld in dim lighting and with greater zoom magnifications.
- The STM stepping focus motor produces near-silent, smooth, and quick autofocus performance that is well-suited to video applications.
- One ultra-low dispersion element helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortion while also contributing to greater image sharpness, contrast, and clarity.
- Enhanced lens coatings minimize flare and ghosting in order to produce true colors with maintained contrast.
- A minimum focusing distance of 2.8' throughout the zoom range and a maximum magnification of 0.29x at the telephoto end enables working with close-up subject matter.
- A seven blade circular aperture helps to produce an aesthetic out-of-focus quality to benefit selective focus and shallow depth of field imagery.
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM Lens
|Focal Length||55 - 250mm
Comparable 35mm Focal Length: 88 - 400 mm
|Aperture||Maximum: f/4.0 - 5.6|
|Camera Mount Type||Canon EF-S|
|Format Compatibility||Canon (APS-C)|
|Angle of View||27° 50' - 6° 15'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||2.79' (85 cm)|
|Filter Thread||Front:58 mm|
|Dimensions (DxL)||Approx. 2.76 x 4.38" (70 x 111.2 mm)|
|Weight||13.23 oz (375 g)|