In The Box
Olympus LI-92B Lithium-Ion Battery
Olympus CB-USB8 Cable (26")
Olympus AC Adapter F-2AC
Olympus Wrist Strap
Olympus Viewer 3 Software CD-ROM
8GB Memory Card
Olympus TG3, Waterproof 15m, Freezeproof -10ºc, LCD 3.0", 5x Optical Zoom WIFI
- 16MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Sensor
- TruePic VII Image Processor
- Olympus 4x Optical Zoom Lens
- 25-100mm f/2.0-4.9 (35mm Equivalent)
- Water, Crush, Shock, Freeze & Dustproof
- 3.0" 460k-Dot LCD Monitor
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps
- Built-In Wi-Fi, GPS, and e.Compass
- ISO 6400 and 5 fps Continuous ShootingInterval Shooting and Microscope Mode
Tough scenes with amazing image quality
Whether in the mountains, by the ocean, in rocky terrain or the snow, the STYLUS Tough series is at home in the most brutal environments. With a bright f2.0 lens, the TG-3 stands above the rest of the series.
Bright f2.0 lens
With a bright f2.0 lens, a high shutter speed can be used for blur-free shooting of moving subjects even in dark locations.
f2.0 folded-optics type zoom lens
The TG-3 boasts the ultimate brightness for a folded optics type lens of f2.0. Lenses created with advanced optical technology are lavishly used, starting with the DSA (Dual Super Aspherical) lens. These features make for a camera with both Tough performance and excellent image quality.
- 1. DSA lens: Dual Super Aspherical lens
- 2. HR/HD lens: High Refractive index lens
- 3. Aspherical Lens
Aperture priority (A) mode makes use of the f2.0 lens
Aperture Priority (A) mode is now included. With this feature, the bright f2.0 lens can be used to capture subjects.
Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, crushproof, and freezeproof. A camera that provides excellent image quality in any type of hard environment imaginable, that is the STYLUS TG-3 Tough.
Waterproof to 15 m*1
Olympus-original technology, such as sealing applied to all parts of the camera, and a double lock mechanism enable waterproof performance down to 15 m. Not only does this make it possible to shoot in downpours or in wet valleys, but makes shooting while snorkeling problem free.
The TG-3 dustproof construction features airtight mechanisms that prevents sand and dust from entering the camera. Due to its waterproof capabilities, tap water can be used to rinse the camera off, so you can feel comfortable using this camera in the most brutal environments.
Shockproof to 2.1 m*1
The TG-3 has cleared 2.1 m drop tests. With a big, bright f2.0 lens, the TG-3 demands higher shock-absorbing performance than any Tough camera before. Olympus knowledge has been utilized in every facet, from the lens shape and maintenance method to the frame drive method.
Crushproof to 100 kgf*1
The lens barrel that supports the lens groups, shutter, and aperture was thoroughly evaluated and found to be able to withstand loads up to 100 kgf. With its crushproof capabilities, you won't have to worry about accidentally sitting on your camera.
Freezeproof to -10°C*1
Normal digital cameras are not guaranteed to operate at temperatures that fall below ±0°C. The TG-3, however, is guaranteed operation down to -10°C, so you can feel confident using for winter sports such as skiing.
The TG-3 features unique movie functions, such as HD movies, High-Speed Movie, and Time Lapse Movie.
With this feature, you can capture ultra high-speed movies at 120 fps, and a top speed of 240 fps. Split-second movements can then be played back in slow motion.
- * Movie sizes are: 120 fps (640 x 480), and 240 fps (320 x 240).
- * The maximum recordable clip length for High-Speed Movie is 20 seconds.
Time Lapse Movie
The Interval Shooting function is included for fixed-point observation shooting. This can be used to shoot scenes such as the comings and goings of people, and the movement of stars. Simply set the number of shots and interval and the camera will automatically shoot successive images. The camera will automatically generate* a Time Lapse movie for a maximum 100 seconds after shooting (when shooting 999 shots). With this function you can enjoy successive shots as a movie.
- * Limited to Motion JPEG (10 fps) recording format.
- *1 Waterproof functionality is equivalent to JIS/IEC protection class 8 (IPX8). The number of available shots in low-temperature conditions will decrease. Kilogram-force (kgf) is the unit for measuring force exerted on an object. Dust proof functionality is equivalent to JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IPX6). All measurement methods were conducted under Olympus testing conditions.
Advanced macro system
Four different shooting modes are available for expanding the expressive power of macro photography.
In Microscope mode, you can shoot at a maximum factor of 13.8x when the camera is 1 cm away from the subject, making a 1 mm subject appear as 44.4 mm subject when enlarged on the rear screen. (Optical zoom, Super Resolution, and digital zoom are all used together.)
Microscope control mode
This mode lets you experience photography as if changing the objective lens of a microscope. When the subject is 1 cm away, you can check the display magnification factor on the rear screen, and use the arrow pad to change the display magnification factor on the rear screen in steps from 1x to 2x and 4x. Also, just as in Microscope control mode, the display magnification factor can be changed to a maximum of 44.4x with the zoom lever. (Optical zoom, Super Resolution, and digital zoom are all used together.)
- * The magnification factor will differ when viewed on anything other than the rear panel.
Focus stacking mode
Focus Stacking mode merges differing degrees of depth of field so that the entire scene is in focus from the foreground to the background. The finished image is good enough to be a sample photo for an illustrated encyclopedia.
Focus Bracketing mode
In macro photography, the results changes drastically depending on where the focal point is placed. In Focus Bracketing mode, the focal location is shifted slightly with each shot for up to 30 shots. This feature is convenient for when you're not sure where to focus. The amount of focal shift can be selected from three different options.
System expandability for a wider realm of shooting
Mountains, rivers, valleys, oceans, mountain climbing, trekking, diving, skiing, snowboarding, and leisure activities. The TG-3 is designed to work as part of a system, making it useful in any difficult environment and any tough sport.
LED Light Guide LG-1
In normal macro photography, shadows are cast on the subject by the camera or photographer's hands. The separately-sold LG-1 uses the LED light on the camera body to evenly illuminate the subject for completely shadow-free photography. With the LG-1, the camera's closest shooting distance to the subject is 1 cm, making it possible to shoot a flat surface easily. The illumination technology used in the LG-1 is created with the same knowledge as that used in endoscope products.
- * The LED light guide cannot be used underwater.
- * When the LED light guide is attached to the camera, do not use the flash.
Two types (telephoto/super wide-angle) of separately-sold converters are available for even further expanded photographic possibilities. These are convenient because they can be used without lowering the TG-3 aperture value.
When using the separately-sold Teleconverter TCON-T01, the focal distance is changed to 1.7x for zooming in on far-away scenery while maintaining the brightness of the lens when shooting. The interior of waterproof lenses are filled with nitrogen gas, preventing internal fogging due to temperature differences.
- * The separately-sold converter adapter CLA-T01 is required.
Fish-eye converter FCON-P01
When using the separately-sold Fish Eye Converter FCON-T01, the focal distance can be changed to 0.74x, making super wide-angle photography possible while maintaining the brightness of the lens. Additionally, because the converter is waterproof, it truly manifests its power in underwater photography where the angle of view becomes narrow. The interior of the lens is filled with nitrogen gas, preventing internal fogging due to temperature differences.
- * The separately-sold converter adapter CLA-T01 is required.
Converter Adapter CLA-T01
By attaching the separately-sold Converter Adapter CLA-T01 to the camera, converters, Protector Filter PRF-D40.5, and commercially available ?40.5mm filters can be attached.
- * If the filter attached is thicker than 6 mm, some vignetting may occur in the recorded image. (When using a circular PL filter, use the slim frame type.) The quality of the images is not guaranteed when using commercially available filters. Filters and the Fish Eye converter cannot be used together.
Mesh Design Camera Case CSCH-121
The separately-sold CSCH-121 is a Tough series case featuring superb functionality and design. The mesh design creates air holes for quick water drainage, breathability, quick-drying performance, and rust proofing. This case is useful for punishing environments found when trekking, diving, fishing, skiing, snowboarding, and other leisure activities.
Silicone Jacket CSCH-122
The separately-sold CSCH-122 protects the surface of the camera body from scratches. This accessory also improves grip for a secure hold on the camera. The LED guide light can be used with CSCH-122 attached to the camera.
- * One of the properties of silicone is its non-slip texture. For this reason, the camera cannot be used with another camera case while the silicone jacket is attached.
Waterproof Protector PT-056
The separately-sold PT-056 is a waterproof protector that can withstand pressure down to a water depth of 45 m. By using a black-colored body, unwanted reflections are removed so that you can enjoy high-quality images while diving. There are also accessories for exclusive use with this protector for a wide variety of underwater scenes.
- * When the waterproof protector is equipped, the camera's GPS function, electronic compass, and pressure sensor will not function properly.
GPS + Electronic compass and Built-in Wi-Fi
GPS + Assist GPS function
The GPS function on the TG-3 is compatible with GLONASS and QZSS for improved positioning accuracy. With support for Assist GPS, positioning speed is significantly improved when the assist information is registered to the camera ahead of time using a computer or smartphone.
- * The computer application A-GPS Utility Software or the smartphone app OLYMPUS Image Track are required to register Assist GPS information.
GPS screen display
- 1. Position
- 2. Electronic compass
- 3. Air pressure/Attitude
The smartphone app OLYMPUS Image Track makes using positioning information more convenient
The smartphone app OLYMPUS Image Track uses positioning information and a Wi-Fi function to display recorded images and the route traveled on a map, it can even update Assist GPS information while traveling. This app is great for reliving the memories of a trip on the way back home by viewing the route traveled and the images you captured.
- * Positioning is possible even without using GPS Assist data but it will take time.
Update data from a computer
A computer application is also available for those without a smartphone.
Download the A-GPS Utility software
Logger function for recording the route traveled
Even when not shooting, the TG-3 receives positioning data at specific intervals and records the route traveled. Launch an application with a map function, such as Google Maps, and you can display the route traveled for reliving memories of trips.
STYLUS TG-3 Tough GPS Performance Test
The electronic compass helps to check shooting direction when traveling
You can check the bearing, longitude and latitude in the positioning information screen. Even when the camera is turned off, you can still check the positioning information screen.
- 1. Latitude/Longitude
- 2. Air pressure/Water pressure
- 3. Attitude/Depth of water
- 4. Date and time
- 5. Shooting direction
Equipped with a Wi-Fi function for sharing enjoyable memories anytime, anywhere via the Internet
The TG-3 is equipped with a built-in Wi-Fi function. When using the smartphone app OLYMPUS Image Share, difficult smartphone connection is made simple just by scanning a QR code. You can then send recorded images and movies to a smartphone and share them via an Internet connection.
Use your smartphone as a remote control
You can display the camera's Live View screen on the smartphone, specifying an AF point, operate the zoom, and activate the shutter, making this the perfect tool for capturing memories on vacation.
- * Google, Google Earth, and Google Maps are trademarks or registered trademarks of Google Inc.
- * Because the GPS and electronic compass are not intended for use as accurate measurement functions, under no circumstances are measured values (such as: longitude and latitude, landmark information, shooting direction) guaranteed. Information may differ from actual circumstances due to effects of events such as natural disasters.
- * To use Assist data, information must be updated via the Internet. A computer or smartphone with an Internet connection is required. GPS Assist data must be updated every four weeks.
- * Depending on the country/region of use, different laws and regulations may be applicable regarding the use of the GPS function. Be sure to follow local laws and regulations.
- * Be sure to turn off the GPS function in places where its use is forbidden or restricted, such as inside airplanes.
- * As long as the logger is turned on, it continues to be active and draw power from the battery even when the camera is off.
- * This camera is not equipped with a navigation function."
- * GPS is a positioning measurement system that uses signals received from orbiting satellites. For better reception, avoid locations where signals can be blocked or reflected. Use the camera in as open location as possible where the sky is clearly visible.
- * It may not be possible to obtain positioning information, or the information may be incorrect in the following locations: Indoors, underground or underwater, in forests, near tall buildings, near high-voltage lines, inside tunnels, near magnets, metal, or electronic appliances, near mobile phones that operate in the 1.5 GHz band
- * The electronic compass may not point to the correct direction in the following places: Indoors, near high-voltage lines, train station platforms, near magnets or metal, near household appliances
- * Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- * The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED logo is a certification mark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
The combination of high-performance TruePic VII image processor that provides high image quality and high speed operation, with low-noise back-illuminated CMOS sensor lets you easily capture the beautiful night scenes and backlit scenes.
TruePic VII is an image processor for digital SLRs that is also used in the OM-D E-M1. The processor performs lateral chromatic aberration compensation and sharpness optimization. It also provides a wider variety of shooting opportunities through such technologies as scene recognition and synthesis processing.
Back-lit CMOS sensor
The camera features a back-illuminated CMOS sensor that provides higher ISO performance and lower noise.
The camera automatically sets appropriate shooting mode in an instant based on the subject, lighting and scene when you point the camera toward the subject. It also supports movie recording and you can shoot movies without setting anything.
When combined with the optical zoom, zoom magnification power can be increased even further. This feature is different than the traditional digital zoom function, lets you shoot with minimal image degradation. On the TG-3, when the optical 4x zoom and Super Resolution 2x are combined, an 8x zoom is achieved.
Low light performance
Offers super-high ISO levels up to 6400 to let you shoot under low light conditions.
HDR processing for backlit subjects
It can capture multiple brackets at different exposures by a single push of the shutter button and performs HDR processing that brightens up shadows.
- 1. Negative compensation
- 2. Positive compensation
Lets you shoot night scenes with less noise. AUTO mode automatically increases the ISO under low light conditions and turns on the image stabilization so that you can take photos without camera shake.
When the camera detects a human face, it shows a white frame on the detected face. When you half-press the shutter button to focus on it, the frame turns green. This feature lets you shoot people photos easily.
- *1 35mm equivalent
Shooting modes that bring out the right mood
The Olympus-original Art Filter is included on this model for even further expanded possibilities of expression. This feature is also available for movies.
The TG-3 is also equipped with Picture Mode for fun with photos. This feature lets you change vividness of photos, and apply filters for unique effects.
By simply touching the rear screen, you can compose shots, add color accents, and combine multiple photos into a single work of art. This feature offers three different themes: Standard, Speed, and Fun Frames. This feature is a tool for photographic expression that is only available from Olympus.
Three available themes to choose from
You can choose your favorite screen layout theme from three different options.
Interval Shooting and Time Lapse Movie
The TG-3 features the Interval Shooting function, which lets you shoot from one second up to 24 hours (max. 99 frames). With this function, you can dramatically capture changing scenery moment by moment. Additionally, a maximum 10 second movie (Time Lapse Movie) can be created from still images captured with Interval Shooting.
Multiple aspect ratios
Aspect ratio can be selected from 4 types: 16:9, 3:2, 4:3 or 1:1.
Get even more creative with the TG-2’s A-mode, which gives you direct control over how wide you set your aperture in shots – for striking depth-of-field and bokeh effects.
Built-in GPS & electronic compass
The TG-2 is equipped to save your location as data with every shot you take, and even records your route when you’re not shooting.
Get the full range from wide to close-up with the 4x wide optical zoom lens (25-100mm full-frame equivalent) – giving you precision and flexibility in all conditions.
Taking tough to the extreme
Waterproof, shockproof, crushproof and freezeproof, this tougher than tough camera lets you take worry-free photos in conditions that are usually out of bounds.
From the double-seal waterproofing chassis construction to the double-lock door mechanism, everything about this camera’s design is focused around resilience to the outside elements.
11 Magic Filters
Get creative with your stills and movies: Choose from a whole range of distinctive and easy-to-apply looks and feels.
Full HD Movie
Make smooth and beautifully sharp movies, even on the move: with a multi-motion function for stabilising out images shot in 1080p resolution.
Forget shakes and jiggles! Get sharp shots every time with the help of Dual IS using CMOS-shift image stabilisation and high-sensitivity shooting for reduced blur – even with fast-moving shots.
Powerful OLED display
Made from Organic Light-Emitting Diodes (OLED), this display lets you enjoy better contrast, colours and brightness – no matter which angle you’re looking from.
Super sports mode
Switch to this designated scene mode for AF tracking and other settings specifically adjusted to get the best possible sporting shots – however fast the action is.
The red Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-3 Digital Camera is a compact, ruggedly-designed point-and-shoot featuring enhanced durability to enable its use in a wide variety of conditions. In addition to being fully sealed from dust, the TG-3 is built to withstand underwater dives up to 50' deep, falls from up to 7' high, temperatures as low as 14°F, and pressure up to 220 lbf. While serving to protect on an array of adventures, these features are also well-suited to use in everyday circumstances.
In regard to imaging, a 16MP BSI CMOS sensor and TruePic VII image processor work to produce high-resolution imagery with notable low-light sensitivity and quality. The combination of these two technologies form Olympus' iHS technology, which serves to realize fast performance throughout the camera system, including a full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 5 fps and the FAST AF system, while also maintaining low image noise with a native sensitivity of ISO 6400. The sensor and processor also support recording full HD 1080p movies at 60 fps as well as SD 480p movies at up to 120 fps.
Benefitting the imaging capabilities of the TG-3 is a fast 4x optical zoom f/2.0-4.9 lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-100mm. Complementing this lens' reach, as well as aiding the camera's use in low-light conditions, is sensor-shift image stabilization, which helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake.
For image monitoring and review, as well as menu navigation, a 3.0" 460k-dot LCD is incorporated into the camera's design. Accessing the menu system reveals a host of different camera features and settings, including a built-in intervalometer, automated Time-Lapse movie creation, a close-focusing Microscope Mode, and the ability to utilize built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, GPS, and an electronic compass.
- TOUGH Design
- The TG-3 is designed to withstand a wide variety of conditions, ranging from harsh climates to everyday mishaps:
- Waterproof to depths of 50' / 15.2m
- Freezeproof to temperatures as low as 14°F / -10°C
- Shockproof to falls from 7' / 2.1m high
- Crushproof to withstand up to 220 lbf / 99.8 kgf of pressure
- Dustproof to protect the internal components of the camera
- 16MP BSI CMOS Sensor and TruePic VII Image Processor
- A 16 megapixel 1/2.3" backside-illuminated CMOS sensor and TruePic VII image processor work together to enable iHS (Intelligent High Speed) Technology, which benefits both the overall image quality and performance throughout the TG-3. The BSI design of the image sensor realizes notable sensitivity to ISO 6400 along with reduced noise levels to enhance image quality, especially in regard to working in difficult lighting conditions. Complementing the sensor's duties is an apt image processor, which benefits both the look and feel of imagery as well as enables a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 5 fps for working with fast-moving subjects. Furthermore, iHS technology also supports the use of the Intelligent Auto shooting mode, with accelerated scene recognition, as well as an enhanced FAST AF system.
- 4x Optical Zoom Lens and Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
- Incorporated into the compact body design is fast 4x optical zoom f/2.0-4.9 lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-100mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives. Benefitting this lens' versatile zoom range is sensor-shift image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake to realize sharper imagery with slower shutter speeds, longer focal lengths, and during macro shooting. Additionally, 2x Super Resolution Zoom and 4x digital zoom can also be utilized to effectively increase the zoom magnification for working with distant subjects.
- Full HD Movie Recording and Time-Lapse Movie
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p video recording is supported at 60 fps, as well as high-speed 120 fps or 240 fps recording, for slow-motion playback, in the SD 640 x 480 format or 432 x 324 format, respectively. Beyond straight movie capture, a dedicated Time-Lapse Movie mode automatically compresses images made with the interval shooting function into a 10 second HD 720p movie with 10 fps playback. The built-in intervalometer enables you to record up to 99 sequential frames with 1 second to 24 hour intervals, and a 1 second to 24 hour start timer.
- Built-In Wi-Fi, GPS, and e.Compass
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables seamless sharing of photos and movies from the camera to a linked mobile device for instant sharing online. Utilizing the Olympus Image Share app, you can also remotely control the camera from a smartphone or tablet, including the ability to zoom in or out, adjust exposure and focus, and release the shutter. Additionally, utilizing the location data from a mobile device, you can geotag your imagery for plotting to an interactive map using the included Olympus Viewer 3 software.
Complementing the Wi-Fi connectivity, an integrated GPS module can quickly locate your position and also enables on-board geotagging and landmark-tagging capabilities. Furthermore, an electronic compass (e.Compass) is also available, and can display a variety of information including latitude and longitude; atmospheric and water pressure; altitude and water depth; and the date and time.
- Microscope Mode
- Contrasting the wide field shooting abilities of the TG-3, dedicated Microscope shooting modes can be used to home in on minute details. Four different modes are available: Microscope, for close-up shooting as near as 1cm away; Microscope Control, which avails a maximum magnification of 44.5x from a distance of 1cm and provides microscope-like controls for attaining critical focus; Focus Bracketing, where a series of individual images are recorded at different focus positions; and Focus Stacking, where, again, a series of individually-focused images are recorded and automatically composited into a single frame realizing an extended depth of field than possible with a single exposure.
- Other Camera Features
- The built-in 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor permits bright, clear viewing during shooting, image review, or when navigating the menu system.
- Face Detection AF, AF Tracking, and AF Lock focus modes are available to suit working with a wide variety of subject types.
- Photo Story is a creative mode allowing you to create a multi-perspective narrative within a single image, with multiple templates available to choose from.
- Backlight HDR automatically combines multiple exposures within a single frame to realize an extended range of tones with greater shadow and highlight detail than a single exposure can record.
- Hand-Held Starlight mode helps to create sharp, blur-free images of nighttime scenes without the use of a tripod.
- A built-in Panorama mode allows you to create in-camera panoramic imagery, up to 360° across, by simply panning the camera about the scene.
- 11 different Art Filters can be applied to creatively enhance imagery: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Dramatic Tone, Fish Eye, Sparkle, Reflection, and Fragmented.
- Three different Picture Modes can be applied to alter the overall quality of imagery: Vivid, Neutral, and Muted.
- In-addition to the standard 2 second and 12 second self-timer delays, a custom self-timer can be set to record 1-10 pictures in a 1-3 second interval with a 1-30 second start timer.
- In-camera image editing: Resize, Crop, Audio Clip (record 4 sec. audio clip for an image file), Red Eye Fix, Shadow Adjustment, Rotate Image, and e-Portrait (smoothes skin tone for viewing on an HDTV).
- Language support: English, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, German, Italian, Russian, Czech, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Croatian, Slovenian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovak, Turkish, Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Korean, Simple Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Thai, Arabic, Bulgarian, Romanian, Persian, Indonesian, Hebrew, Malay, Vietnamese, and Japanese.
Olympus TG3, Waterproof 15m, Freezeproof -10ºc, LCD 3.0", 5x Optical Zoom WIFI